Tuesday, March 6, 2012

3/6/12

Today in the car, Rivers asked me for "'Vana."  I told her that I didn't think I had any Nirvana in the car, but that she would also like what was on.  Then, she listened for a second and said, "Foo Fighters?" like it was a question.  (Yep, that girl is awesome.)  Anyway, I told her that it was, in fact, Foo Fighters.  A couple of minutes went by, and I heard her making sounds in the backseat which was nothing new, so I didn't say anything.  I guess I should have acknowledged it because about a minute later she very impatiently shouted, "SINGING!  Hear me?"

We had a new game at bedtime tonight.  Rivers has learned how to make a kiss sound when she kisses someone or something.  So, during Bible stories and prayers, she kept turning my head with both of her hands so she could kiss my cheek and make the sound.  I guess it helped her that every time she did that, I laughed uncontrollably and then, of course, so did she.  We played that game for at least 15 minutes.  I think we'll have to teach that one to Chisum when he gets back.

Another fun thing about Rivers is her incredible ability to name her stuffed animals.  All of them reside in her crib except for two:  a very large penguin and a very large black bear.  Rivers started off with Monkey.  I received it as a gift at a shower for her, and it was the first stuffed animal she ever had.  We called it Monkey because, well, what else were we going to call it?  We also determined Monkey was male for who knows what reason.  Anyway, I tried to push that thing on her for a long time, and she just wasn't having it.  So, when she was having such a hard time sleeping through the night, I took her to the store to let her pick out her own stuffed animal in the hopes that it would be a special bedtime friend she could keep around and love on.  She chose a little gray goofy-looking cat, and I named her KitKat.  And KitKat worked.  And, of course, KitKat was a girl.  Why not?  So then there were other animals collected--some from garage sales, some as gifts, some we just got her because they were cute.  Now, Rivers has the following collection of animals with names of her own choosing:
1. a gray cat she picked up at a garage sale that she would not let go of until we got back home and only then to let it be washed (She named her Mabel.  I have NO IDEA where she heard that or where it came from.) 2. a brown dog also from a garage sale (His name used to be Red, but she randomly changed it to Blackie.) 3. a teddy bear from when I was a little younger (She named him Money Bear...by this time, I stopped questioning her logic.)
4.  her ladybug pillowpet, which she calls Lagabug
5. Gobo Fraggle (She just calls him Gobo.)
6. the black bear whose name is Alex and is a girl (I found out when I asked her earlier today.), and
7. a 3 foot upright penguin she calls Eric (though for a couple of days his name was Alec, and I'm not even kidding.)
Rivers chose those names all by herself, and I'm already anticipating the day when she is grown and asks me why I gave her animals such crazy names.

P.S.  A few days ago, I was informed by Rivers that Monkey is a girl, not a boy...Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment